Sandy Starr, a teacher at the Orcas public school, and Janet Lum, were the founders of Children’s House. They began in 1969 with a few children housed in a building at the Glenwood Inn. The operation was later moved to a house on the east side of North Beach Road just south of Bartel Road. In 1980 the Lavender family leased the farmhouse, which is now the Preschool, to Children's House.
In 1900 the lovely farmhouse was built on the George Sutherland farm. Surrounded by 1000 fruit trees, the farmhouse eventually became home to three different large families and has always been "a house for children". In 1928 the Lavender family, with 7 children, purchased the property and grew peas, beans, and other crops. The surrounding acreage was farmed by Tom Lavender until the late 1990's.
Through community support, the farmhouse and surrounding acre of land was eventually purchased by the nonprofit organization. In 1996, the 27th year of Children's House, the building which houses the Toddler center and offices was built.
Today we serve nearly 40 Island children and families.
ORCAS ISLAND CHILDREN'S HOUSE
36 Pea Patch Lane | Eastsound, Washington 98245 | 360.376.4744
Orcas Island Children's House is a tax-exempt 501(c)3 organization, and all contributions are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.
Content of this Web site © 2013 Orcas Island Children's House.